Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Defining my terms

After speaking with my wife about the former issue of egalitarianism, I see the need to define my terms and soften my language somewhat.

When I say egalitarianism, (which is a great word, meaning "characterized by belief in the equality of all people, esp. in political, economic, or social life) I am speaking of those who see no distinction of roles between men and women in the church or in marriage. Please do not misunderstand, I am fully supportive of those who are proponents of women's rights, ie the right to vote, equal employment rights, the right to fair wages, the right to bodily integrity and autonomy, etc. These rights were gained at great cost to both women and men and must be protected.

As I wrestle and think through the applicable passages of Scripture, I see the biblical role of pastor/teacher/elder reserved for men alone. Many interpret this to say that women, because they can't fulfill this role, are of less value than men. There are roles, however, filled by women that can't be fulfilled by men, the primary role being that of mother. Men can't bear children nor can they meet the needs of children who were created to be nurtured and loved by a mother. Personally speaking, I am fully aware of my own inability to love my kids as my wife does. I do not have the patience, the endurance nor the energy to see that my children's needs for love and affection are met. If, God forbid, something were to happen to her and she wasn't there to care for the kids, they would not be nearly as healthy and well-rounded as if she did care for and nourish them. Not to mention all they'd ever eat is cereal.

Roles have nothing to do with value. This is clearly seen in the doctrine of the Trinity. The Son is submissive to the Father and the Spirit is submissive to the Son, being sent by the Son and whose purpose is to glorify the Son. As the Athanasian Creed asserts, "For there is one Person of the Father, another of the Son, and another of the Holy Spirit. But the godhead of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, is all one, the glory equal, the majesty co-eternal."

Lastly, I am deeply grateful and humbled by a wife who trusts me to lead, who challenges my thinking, and who listens to my endless ramblings. God is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written and well put. I don't think this will be off the table for anyone who is submitting to Scripture. Even I, a hardcore liberal* Christian, can buy this.

*By liberal, I mean that I do not believe or practice most of the conservative rights of Christianity, not that I am liberal as it pertains to submission to Scripture or Biblical authority.